DofE Programmes - Overseas
Taking your DofE team overseas is an extremely rewarding experience for all involved. We have a variety of fantastic locations that are challenging for participants but relaxing for leaders with all logistics taken care of. Our overseas programmes are approved by the DofE and ensure that the "20 Conditions" are adhered to. All overseas programme leaders are International Mountain Leaders.
Designing your expedition programme
As with our UK expedition programmes, after your initial contact we come into school to discuss your programme requirements and meet staff. If your group needs to complete a practice expedition before heading overseas for the qualifying venture, we can help arrange this - please see 'DofE Programmes - UK'. Before you head overseas we hold a training weekend (either a weekend away or based from your location) so that all route planning and further training specific to the expedition location can be undertaken. You should then be fully prepared to head off!
Like our UK programmes, all paperwork is undertaken as required by your school, DofE Operating Authority and DofE Head Office (including Blue Forms and Expedition Notifications). Both you and your participants have access to a personalised webpage set up for your use with a username and password so that it can be accessed at any time. The webpage contains all information for our programme including information pdfs for parents, comprehensive itinerary information, kits lists and a range of training resources to enhance learning in participants own time.
Your personal webpage
You and your participants have access to a webpage designed specifically for you - this is username and password protected. Access can be granted for parents too. All information and resources for your expedition are added to the page so that they can be accessed at any time.
Dates and locations
Let us know your group's preferred dates and location and we put the rest in place. Some locations may be more appropriate at certain times of the year (e.g. Provence is generally too hot in the summer months while Chamonix area may still have snow cover on some trails in Spring and Autumn) which may influence your choice - we can advise on the best location that meets your requirements.
Our European locations map may be useful in gaining an overview of the areas we use.
- Chamonix-Mont-Blanc: A challenging expedition where you can get up close to spectacular mountains, glaciers, forests, alpine meadows and mountain chamois. With Chamonix lying in France but very close to the borders of Switzerland and Italy, groups may find themselves going through three different countries over the course of their expedition!;
- Provence: If you're looking for a slightly more chilled out expedition in a location that gets over 300 days of sunshine a year, Provence is the one! A great mix of Alpine and Mediterranean cultures with old hilltop villages and chateaux to explore and mountain peaks rising out of the hills. Blue skies (normally) guaranteed!;
- Bernese Oberland: A fantastic blend of mountains, alpine meadows and traditional alpine village life, the Bernese Oberland allows you to explore some quieter areas before arriving beneath the famous giant mountains of the Eiger, Jungfrau and Monch. Witness first hand the Valley of Waterfalls, see where James Bond was filmed and witness the scene of countless mountaineering deaths on the Eiger 'Nordwand';
- Slovakia: A little known gem and a truly fantastic adventure for DofE - trek in the beautiful hills and forests of Slovakia, pass through villages and pastures and get to grips with the Tatras mountains. If you're keen for culture and stunning scenery, it has to be Slovakia.
Our transparent pricing policy means that you know exactly how much each participant has to pay from the start - there are no hidden extras. For tailor-made overseas programmes, we charge £60.00 per person, per day.
What's included in the cost?
All of our overseas expedition prices include:
- In-school meetings to discuss your needs and meet staff, pupils and parents;
- Comprehensive pre-expedition information and resources for participants included on a private school webpage;
- Completion of all paperwork required for your school and LEA, DofE Operating Authorities and Expedition Panels (including DofE Blue Forms);
- Template letters (if required) and consent forms for parents;
- Comprehensive supervision and instruction throughout from qualified and experienced instructors;
- 2-day UK training weekend (including route planning session);
- International Mountain Leaders and DofE Accredited Assessors for all overseas qualifying expeditions;
- Free use of high quality group equipment: tents, stoves, fuel for stoves, maps, first aid kits, group shelters;
- Post expedition reviews with participants and leaders;
- Financial peace of mind with Travel Trust Association (TTA) bonding - Alpzone is our booking agent.
What you need to arrange
- Travel to and from the expedition location - we can help you with the logistics of this and provide this as part of an expedition package if you prefer;
- Insurance for participants - we require all participants to have insurance cover for medical and repatriation purposes but can point you in the right direction for policies if necessary.
What participants need to arrange
- Personal kit - we provide comprehensive information via the webpage set up for your school and the training weekend;
- Food for the expedition - many participants choose to purchase the four days of expedition food in the UK before heading overseas for their expedition or alternatively we can build time into the programme to go food shopping once away. Again, comprehensive advice is included on your school's webpage and during the training weekend.
Being on expedition overseas can offer a range of learning opportunities both linked to the curriculum and personal development. In keeping with our Learning Outside the Classroom Quality Badge, we are keen to maximise the experience of each participant on expedition and can work with you to identify links with the National Curriculum or personal development schemes in your chosen location.
Safety and Backup
Adventure Expeditions only runs expeditions in Europe using International Mountain Leaders. This qualification is a legal requirement for leaders running trips in France, Switzerland and Italy and acts as a guiding level for the standard of expertise that is expected elsewhere. All leaders are experienced and have outdoor-specific first aid training. All participants are given full briefings and training in emergency procedures for their chosen location and carry 'Expedition Safety Cards' that act as an 'aide memoir' in the event of an emergency while on expedition. Back in the UK, the Adventure Expeditions HQ acts to co-ordinate operations of all expeditions and provide support to leaders in the field. For more information on how we manage safety and the licences, quality badges and insurance that we hold, please click here.
Email to discuss your requirements or call us on 01433 651449 - we have a good working knowledge of the areas that we visit on expedition so can happily chat through different ideas and options that might work well for you and your group.